In September 1881, classes began at St. Mary’s Catholic School. The Sisters from the order of the Precious Blood from Ruma, IL taught the 40 students. There was only one teacher. . . Sister Catherine. The school was located on Second Street between Pear and Plum Streets.
In 1900, due to the growth of the parish and town, Father Budde decided it was necessary to move the church and school to a more centrally located place. Construction began on the new buildings at 5th and Chestnut Street. In 1920, there were four Sisters teaching in the school and the school year was extended from 7 months to 8 months.
In 1952-53, the present St. Mary’s Catholic School was built to accommodate the increase in enrollment and provide the much needed necessities. This school was a 1st-8th grade school with the enrollment of 218 students with five Sisters teaching the students.
After 91 years of service and dedication to St. Mary’s, the Sisters of the Precious Blood had to withdraw from the school. In 1972, the order of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ provided Sisters for the school.
So here we are today. Our Catholic School is a Preschool-8th grade with a present enrollment of 141 students. Our school exists to carry on the mission to pass on our faith. Our faith challenges us to live the Gospel message, to build community, and to serve all people. Our state and diocesan accredited school offers the latest in technology in each classroom with Eno Boards, iPads, along with a computer lab and a mobile lab. We strive each and every day for academic excellence and meeting the needs of all the students. The faculty and staff strive to secure that each student feels safe, loved, and respected.